Black Hat Sessions 2018: Take control of your digital security (before someone else does)! Aftermovie, slides, recordings and more
Proudly we look back at the sixteenth edition of Secura's annual security conference the Black Hat Sessions. Over 300 participants (decision makers, managers, CISOs, technical security experts and other interested visitors) came together on June 14th, 2018 to network and to get informed about the latest trend, threats and solutions in the world of digital security. Thank you to all participants, sponsors and partners for your participation. We hope you have all enjoyed the conference. We look forward to organize next year's edition. Hopefully you will be there (again)! Subscribe to the Secura newsletter (max 1 per month) and stay updated with the latest news.
We would like to thank all the speakers of Black Hat Sessions Part XVI: Chris van ‘t Hof (Host), Michel van Leeuwen (Head of the Cybersecurity Policy Department (NCSC), Ministry of Security and Justice in the Netherlands), Adam Laurie (Director Aperture labs), Ralph Moonen (Technical Director at Secura) Wolter Karssenberg (Senior Privacy Officer for ABN AMRO), Ruud Kerssens (Manager Service Line Advisory & Audit at Secura), Miranda Chilvers (Dutch Central Bank), Fabian van den Broek (Radboud University), Petr (IT Security Specialist from MinBZK – NLNCSA – BSPA), Dirk Jan van den Heuvel (Managing Director at Secura), Neal Conijn (Senior Consultant, Red Teaming & Security Intelligence at SoSecure), Roy Duisters (Senior Security Specialist at Secura), Elisa Costante (Head of Research at SecurityMatters) and Nirvana Meratnia (Associate Professor at University of Twente).
And of course all our sponsors Software Improvement Group (SIG), ISOC24, Netwrix, Rapid7, SCOS, Global Knowledge, TSTC and our partners Winmag Pro, AG Connect, InfosecurityMagazine, NLUUG, PviB, NOREA, ISACA.
Below you will find brief reports of the presentations. In addition, several publications have been published about this edition. Jeroen van Onselen was present on behalf of WINMAG Pro. You can read his report (in Dutch) here: http://www.winmagpro.nl/secura-black-hat-sessions-2018
Aftermovie Black Hat Sessions 2018
During the Black Hat Sessions Martin Hols made some amazing photos and we have made an BHS aftermovie and CTF aftermovie which gives a good impression of the day. We would also like to share all presentations of the sessions. Go to the slides and presentation recordings.
We are proud to had Adam Laurie (RFIDIOt, Aperture labs) to give a keynote 'Stop laughing! CYBER Security is cool now!'. For decades we've been relegated to the kitchen at parties, our black t-shirts have excluded us from the best restaurants, and our children described us as "sad geeks" to their friends... But not any more! At last, CYBER is the new COOL! We are finally getting the attention we deserve and the issues we are trumpeting are no longer considered "Science Fiction". But is it enough or we just entering a new phase in the sausage machine of IT Security? After twenty years in the business, Adam Laurie took a walk down memory lane and looked at issues we were dealing with when he first started and issues we're dealing with now. Oh wait! That's the same thing!!!
Adam is a security consultant working the in the field of electronic communications, and a Director of Aperture Labs Ltd. who specialize in reverse engineering of secure embedded systems.
Michel van Leeuwen
Michel van Leeuwen - Head of the Cybersecurity Policy Department (National Coordinator for Security and Counterterro rism), Ministry of Security and Justice in theNetherlands gave a keynote speech ‘Next steps in Policy in the Netherlands and EU’ at the end of the programme. Click for a brief report and the presentation recording of this keynote.
Ralph Moonen, Technical Director at Secura, presented recent research that Secura performed regarding several topics, including the security of SSL certificates in the Netherlands, and the security of 4G voice communication (Voice-over-LTE, or VoLTE). Click for a brief report and the presentation recording of this keynote.
Management interactive sessions
- Fabian van den Broek, Post-doctoral Researcher at Radboud University, about Privacy by Design
- Wolter Karssenberg, Management Consultant Privacy and Senior Privacy Officer for ABN AMRO, about the accountability of the controller
- Ruud Kerssens, Manager Service Line Advisory & Audit at Secura, about the data protection impact assessment and accountability
- Miranda Chilvers, Supervisor Operational Risk at De Nederlandsche Bank, about the Guideline for Cloud Service Providers by the European Banking Authority (EBA)
- Petr, developer of the BSPA scheme (AIVD), about the design, its first results and experiences of the Baseline Security Product Assessment (BSPA) scheme
- Dirk Jan van den Heuvel about the Meta-Security Scheme by the European Cyber Security Organization (ECSO)
Technical interactive sessions
- Neal Conijn, Senior Consultant Red Teaming & Security Intelligence at SoSecure, about predictive threat modeling and the physical side of Red Teaming
- Roy Duisters, Senior Security Specialist at Secura, about the technical side of Red Teaming
- Elisa Costante, Head of Research at SecurityMatters, about vulnerabilities in smart buildings.
- Nirvana Meratnia, Associate Professor at University of Twente
Secura Grand Slam Student Capture the Flag
This sixteenth edition of BHS contained also a Capture the Flag (CTF) competition aimed at student teams from University or Higher Education. The winners have been announced at the end of the day. First prize: 2,048 EURO, Second prize: 1,024 EURO and Third prize: 512 EURO.
We look forward to next year! Hopefully you will be there (again)!