Web Applications / API's Pentesting
... > Vulnerability Assessment / Penetration Testing (VAPT) > Web Applications / API'S Pentesting
Web Applications / API'S Pentesting
Web applications are very important to many organizations. For example, online shops are completely dependent on these applications for the smooth and secure operation of their site. These applications are obviously used for many other purposes, such as online banking, government communication, viewing educational results or booking hospital appointments.
Websites that allow a user to login to view personal and privacy sensitive information are especially vulnerable. While the access to these websites is usually well secured, things can go wrong after a user has logged in and suddenly become able to view or even alter someone else's data.
The same applies to APIs (Application Programming Interface). These applications allow different (software) systems to communicate with each other. API tests are similar in many ways to regular application tests, but due to the different technologies used (SOAP/REST/XML) the actual tests differ. Tests are performed both as an authenticated user, and as an unauthenticated user.
The application(s) will be studied thoroughly and tested for all kinds of design, configuration and programming errors, of course with maximum attention for security weaknesses from the OWASP Top 10 (version 2013 and 2017 combined).
Translated to concrete security issues, this yields the following tests:
- Testing the registration process and login process for possibilities of taking over someone else’s account.
- Testing whether the session mechanism has been adequately and securely structured.
- Checking whether users have unauthorised access to other user’s data (horizontal authorisation checks).
- Checking whether users can request functionality and data of users with elevated privileges (vertical authorisation checks).
- Testing resistance against ‘brute-force’ cracking of the password mechanism, including possible blocking mechanisms.
- Testing to what extent the site is sensitive to injection attacks such as ‘Cross Site Scripting’ and ‘SQL injection’.
- Bypassing and abusing the business logic within the application.
- Testing the strength of the TLS connection.
- Testing whether security mechanisms like Content Security Policy are implemented in a secure way.
I'd like to know more about Web Applications / API's Pentesting
Secura is a leading cybersecurity expert. Our customers range from government and healthcare to finance and industry worldwide. Secura offers technical services, such as vulnerability assessments, penetration testing and red teaming. We also provide certification for IoT and industrial environments, as well as audits, forensic services and awareness training. Our goal is to raise your cyber resilience.
Secura is a Bureau Veritas company. Bureau Veritas (BV) is a publicly listed company specialized in testing, inspection and certification. BV was founded in 1828, has over 80.000 employees and is active in 140 countries. Secura is the cornerstone of the cybersecurity strategy of Bureau Veritas.
Hardware / IoT Pentesting